Re: [OM] Sweeten the deal- "Your OM-D, Your Choice"

Subject: Re: [OM] Sweeten the deal- "Your OM-D, Your Choice"
From: Peter Klein <pklein@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2012 23:06:22 -0700
Ian, Ken: It always boils down to a maddeningly complex set of decision
parameters. How much you are like the target market, and how much not.
All the unknowables, like how the camera will feel after a few days, and
a few weeks.  How much extra stuff they're going to make you buy to do
what you want to do.  Not to mention that the proper time to buy
anything electronic is never, because something else will always be
cheaper/faster/better next week.

Plus a healthy dose, of "Damn the data, this is what I really want."

I'm looking at the OM-D with great interest. My M8 is my primary camera,
so I'm interested in the OM-D for the "everything else" where a
rangefinder is not at its best. Telephoto, macro, and general toting
around where I don't want to carry a whole outfit, maybe just a kit zoom
and one fast prime. If that "everything else" camera takes lenses that I
already have, so much the better.

Up until now, I've used a combination of a Panny G1 and an Oly E-510
(now and E-30) for my "everything else" cameras.  Both will take my OM
lenses and my Leica lenses with adapters. The E-thingies are marvelous
for telephoto:  I've had a great time with the humble original 40-150mm
f/3.5-4.5 zoom, which is a wonderful lens.  The G1 with kit zoom, 20/1.7
and Leica mount VC 90/3.5 makes a wonderful travel kit.

The OM-D would be a step up from both in image quality and high ISO,
with in-body stabilization that the G1 doesn't have. I might find it
usable with fast OM or Leica lenses for theatre and concert shots, if
the shutter is reasonably quiet.

And then there's that annoying little voice in the back of my head that
says:  Olympus has betrayed you twice. First by abandoning the OM
system. Second by leaving 4/3 stuff mostly barely compatible with micro 4/3.

I'm not a pre-ordering kind of guy.  I want to see reviews. I want to
hear how people who do what I do feel about the camera. Then I want to
hold the thing in my hand and play with it for a while.

--Peter

 > Here in Switzerland they have just announced the price of the fuji
x-pro1 with 35mm lens, it's twice the price
 > of the OM-D however despite the quality of web images I am seeing
from the OM-D I want to hold the fuji before I > decide.

 > two things put me off using the PL2 one is battery life (abysmal) and
the second is its slow to use - its not a
 > dlsr and if the OM-D has these same issues I will be willing to pay
double for the fuji. This with consideration
 > that the new canyon 24-70/2.8 will be as much as the fuji. As you say
maybe its better to wait and see how