Re: [OM] Sagelight problems with ORFs; Studio still rules

Subject: Re: [OM] Sagelight problems with ORFs; Studio still rules
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2012 14:40:33 -0800
On 1/26/2012 5:34 PM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> Canaan raw files contain an embedded JPEG whose size IIRC depends on the
> camera model.  I think the 5D has a 4MP embedded JPEG.  The embedded
> JPEG is not the same as a full rez JPEG created when you shoot raw and
> JPEG together.  When using a browser such as BreezeBrowser or FastStone
> the browser will open the embedded JPEG to display an image since it
> can't display the raw file without conversion.

Not completely accurate for Faststone. You have choices for viewing Raw files.
F12, RAW Tab allows choice of embedded
JPEG, half size Raw conversion or Full size RAW conversion. If you select full
size, the full screen preview is full
size, 18MP

It is smart in two ways. When the preview on the lower left is off, no
conversion is done to any image until you double
click or hit Enter to view full screen.  With the preview window on, when a
folder full of CR2s is selected, it only
converts the first one, and display thumbnails for the rest based on embedded
JPEG data. Each individual thumbnail you
click on causes a pause as the conversion for that image is done. Full size
preview is then instant.

Fully Converted Moose