Re: [OM] Sagelight problems with ORFs; Studio still rules

Subject: Re: [OM] Sagelight problems with ORFs; Studio still rules
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2012 21:44:13 -0800
On 1/28/2012 4:45 PM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> ...   the main discussion which was that, without an embedded
> JPEG to work with, FastStone was ultimately obligated to convert ORFs
> along with its attendant performance impact in order to be able to see
> anything at all.

Except that's not true. You've made a possibly reasonable assumption based on a
report from someone else, but not
checked it.

I just grabbed an .ORF file from the web. It's from an E-620. It has a full
size of 4096x3084. Embedded in it are two JPEGs:
Preview 1: image/jpeg, 160x120 pixels, 7178 bytes
Preview 2: image/jpeg, 3200x2400 pixels, 1115932 bytes

Faststone acts with this Raw file just as I described with CR2 files.  If FS
seems slow opening a folder of ORFs and
displaying the thumbnails, it's much the same with CR2s on my machine.

The embedded JPEG in this example is rather large. Perhaps that is a factor in
speed of extraction and display?
Certainly it helps explain why Oly Raw files are so large.

I think I may have just had a brainstorm! The thumbnails in CR2 files are also
160x120. I had FS set for 120x90 thumbs.
I may have been forcing it to access the larger preview image and generate a
thumbnail from it for each file. No wonder
it takes a while for a large folder!

I just changed my FS settings to 160x120 thumbs. Now, folders of CR2s start
showing thumbs immediately and move briskly
along, at least with the small preview window closed.

Now to go rest and let the neurons recover. :-)

Preview Me Moose