Re: [OM] advice on Canon point and shoots

Subject: Re: [OM] advice on Canon point and shoots
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2012 13:06:33 -0500
Be very careful of the specific model numbers and check all specs very
carefully.  I would suggest you double check whether the ELPH 100 has an
HS suffix like the 300 HS.  HS designates a new higher ISO sensor.  The
300 HS has a zoom starting at 24mm but the 100 HS starts at 28mm equivalent.

Here's a review of the 300 HS
<http://www.steves-digicams.com/news/just_posted_our_canon_powershot_elph_300_hs_review.html>

 From the review: "For those who do like to have a bit more control, the
300 HS offers Program mode with access to more advanced settings like
ISO, white balance, exposure compensation, etc."

Here's a review of the 100 HS
<http://www.steves-digicams.com/camera-reviews/canon/powershot-elph-100-hs/canon-powershot-elph-100-hs-review.html>

If the 100 doesn't carry the HS suffix it may in fact be the same as
this SD100 (SD/ELPH name depends on the market)
<http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/digital_cameras/powershot_sd_series/powershot_sd100#Specifications>

All the lower end models with the same focal length zoom range probably
perform fundamentally the same as the lens/sensor is just a single
assembly.  However other external or menu controls may be different.
The HS is certainly different as it's a new sensor design.

On the B&H web site the 300 HS is quite a bit more expensive than the
100 HS which is to be expected since it does have more features
including the 24 vs 28mm lens.

Chuck Norcutt