Re: [OM] WTB Grip for OM-3,3Ti,4,4T,4Ti

Subject: Re: [OM] WTB Grip for OM-3,3Ti,4,4T,4Ti
From: Ralf Loi <ralf_loi@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2012 15:26:49 +0100
<<
Yes, I agree that it undoes the goal of Maitani to make small cameras.
Unfortunately neither he nor his engineers seem to have understood and
taken the appropriate design measures to remove the source of the
vibration. Anyway, they didn't.

My understanding of what extra mass might do where vibration is present
comes from what I learned at Physics ! at University 50 years ago. Simple.

Not taking into account the whole scenario can lead to false conclusions.
Your whole argument on mass vs vibration is valid only if you rest the
camera alone (or on a tripod). But in a more normal way of shooting, i.e.
holding the camera with hands, you are dampening the vibrations.
In this case is evident that less mass of the camera can be an advantage
because you can hold a lighter camera for much more time and/or firmier
than an heavier one.
The problem with vibration in a test environment is sometimes a false
problem, because in reality your body is very effective in the dampening,
but this method is not accettable as a test because of variability, thus
the need to dampen the vibrations with other methods, more controllable
and repeatable (that is the essence of scientific methodology).

IMHO, taking the weight of a winder and not using it is not a good idea.
I feel it is uncomfortable to use the camera shutter release with a
winder installed.

Ralf