Re: [OM] WTB Grip for OM-3,3Ti,4,4T,4Ti

Subject: Re: [OM] WTB Grip for OM-3,3Ti,4,4T,4Ti
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2012 02:14:39 +1300
Fernando wrote

> Brian, I thought the same 'till another list member told me just the
> opposite, during an off-list exchange.
>
> I don't have a clue whether the winder2 damps or resonates the
> inherent vibration, but me thinks it's an interesting problem to pose and
> solve.

Just to clarify.

I don't use the winder "as a winder". I use the camera shutter release.

For me the winder is used solely as a convenient inert weight / additional
location of mass, and a very good hand-grip.  I don't see any advantage in
using its winder abilities for 99.5% of my photography..

Yes, I agree that it undoes the goal of Maitani to make small cameras.
Unfortunately neither he nor his engineers seem to have understood and
taken the appropriate design measures to remove the source of the
vibration. Anyway, they didn't.

My understanding of what extra mass might do where vibration is present
comes from what I learned at Physics ! at University 50 years ago. Simple.

If a vibration (or any similar force) of uniform magnitude is applied to a body
of a certain mass, it will move that mass to a degree which can be
calculated. If the mass of the body is increased, the extent of movement will
DECREASE.
If I remember correctly, there is a principle / law of conservation of energy
which applies.

Therefore, the movement imparted to the whole camera system which will
degrade an image, will be REDUCED because of the extra mass.

Why else do some people suspend large weights from the apex of their
tripod? Exactly the same principle applies; in this example the mass of the
earth is being used to dampen the vibration.

AND I have just remembered. The much liked Modern Photography ( or
maybe Popular Photography) showed pics of the laboratory where they
tested lens resolution. Not only was the laboratory in a place with minimal
vibration from the surrounding environment, but the test bed was a
MASSIVE steel + concrete construction ..... Plenty of calm mass there.

My maths aren't great, but it makes sense to me.

If further proof is needed, one has only to wonder why the users of some
camera systems which don't involve the Zuiko aperture stop-down
mechanism, like / approve of  manual Zuiko lenses so much that they
preferentially use them?
I refer to the users of some Canyon cameras. They appreciate the excellent
optics, the same optics that are degraded by the mechanism vibration from
mechanical movements originating within the lens -  IF that mechanism is
used..

Sorry about the length of the rant.

Brian Swale.