Re: [OM] Latest attempt at shameless plugs and sample photos

Subject: Re: [OM] Latest attempt at shameless plugs and sample photos
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2011 07:50:38 -0500
Your struggles with the exposure foibles of the E-1 reminds me of an
article I read recently chastising our camera designers for not making
full use of the exposure measurement technology already available to
them.  It covered more ground than ETTR but, since ETTR is of special
interest to me, it's what I paid most attention to.  The author simply
pointed out that any camera with live view could easily implement an
ETTR exposure mode and guarantee that no highlights would be blown since
it knows the exposure state of every pixel.

Using the 5D's histogram or flashing highlights display usually works
fairly well for ETTR but sometimes is a real guessing game.  It irks me
to sometimes have to underexpose a bit to be sure I've not blown one
channel.  For the 5D the ETTR analysis has to be post exposure but any
live view camera should be able to make perfect ETTR into a point and
shoot exercise.

Chuck Norcutt