Re: [OM] Titanic, was More from the Airport

Subject: Re: [OM] Titanic, was More from the Airport
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2011 18:42:53 +0100
Not if they were trained to use it, Piers.

AoA guages are a way to set the correct speed for approach, for cruise, for
climb and for safety.  In the Jaguar it was an essential part of the
manoeuvring kit, with variable levels of warning available (with different
tones and colours on the head-down display).  It's a single unit to get right;
all fast jets land with an AoA as reference.  In the Tornado GR1/4 pilot and
nav agreed the approach speed before turning finals, but it was only a
cross-check of the AoA, in case of a probe failure or display freeze (which
never happened to me).

I am really quite surprised that Airbus aircraft didn't have the readout
available, if that is the case.  An aircraft with powered controls has little
feel, which is why you have things like stick-shakers to indicate the approach
of the stall.  But a stick-shaker is a pretty drastic way to warn someone when
AoA would do it more elegantly and perhaps safely.

Chris