Re: [OM] Titanic, was More from the Airport

Subject: Re: [OM] Titanic, was More from the Airport
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2011 18:47:02 +0100
You're right, Jim, but the SOPs would be to fly only as high as you can,
safely.  The Tornado GR1/4 flies just between Mach buffet and pre-stall buffet
in some regimes -- heavy, high and with wings forward.  So you adjusted your
flying: not too high when heavy, and with wings slightly aft of fully forward.
In fact you adjusted your wing sweep to give you the best cruise AoA for the
IAS that you wanted.  On the way home from a 2hr sortie you would cruise around
7,000 ft higher than on the way out, using less fuel but doing a better Mach No
and groundspeed.

I don't believe that an airliner would be dangerously close to the stall in the
cruise, but I'll ask some airline pilots I know.

Chris