Re: [OM] Titanic, was More from the Airport

Subject: Re: [OM] Titanic, was More from the Airport
From: "Jim Nichols" <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2011 00:23:47 -0500
Chris,

I trying to recall something I read a number of years ago.  In an upper
corner of the flight envelope, the cruise AoA can approach the stall AoA.
Think of it this way:  The aircraft weight does not change, except for the
fuel that is burned off.  As you climb to jet cruising altitudes, the air
density falls rapidly, so the dynamic pressure, or "q", falls off as well.
This means that, in order to support the weight, the wing requires higher
and higher angles of attack.  When the flight AoA approaches the stall AoA
for the flight Mach number, it takes very little stick force to get into
trouble.  For crews flying fly by wire systems with computers in the loop,
they very seldom experience the subtleties of hand flying in this regime.
Loss of pitot pressure on a dark night under such conditions is a worst-case
scenario.

I've heard the term "departure" used to describe the loss of flying ability
in such cases.  I think I first heard of it in reference to the early Lear
jets.

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA