Re: [OM] Who uses a Bogen/Manfrotto 410/3275 geared head?

Subject: Re: [OM] Who uses a Bogen/Manfrotto 410/3275 geared head?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2011 14:37:02 -0700
On 7/31/2011 4:34 AM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> Thanks.  It's not the 410 that's jerky.  Its the 3030 or 3029, the
> ancestor of this one (w/o the bubble level)
> <http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/434497-REG/Manfrotto_804RC2_804RC2_3_Way_Pan_Tilt_Head.html>
>
> I just noticed this magnesium 3-way head.
> <http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/553704-REG/Manfrotto_460MG_460MG_3D_Magnesium_Head.html>
> It has short knobs instead of long handles and uses the same RC2 QR
> plates as my other head.  It must not be jerky as the customer reviews
> give it high praise.  Despite it's similar appearance to the 410 it's

Look closer before leaping. It does not have "short knobs instead of long
handles". The Manfrotto "3D" designs are quite
different from the pan-tilt-rotate heads with handles. A name like "Free-Form"
or some such would be more informative, I
think.

When you loosen a knob, that frees that axis for movement, but doesn't control
the movement in any way. You can hold and
push/pull the knob all you like, but the camera will simply fall around the
axis of the bolt you just loosened. You keep
one hand on the camera and use the other to loosen the axes, position the
camera with the first hand, then tighten the
knobs with the other.

This image (on the same tripod Walt used) should give you a better idea of how
it is articulated.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Tech/QR_Receivers&image=_MG_2676croof60.jpg>

You can get the camera into positions impossible with other heads - and using
it is unlike any other head I've over
used. From what you've been talking about, it doesn't sound like what you want.

I have the 3025, a simpler, lighter model 3D head, and use it very, very
seldom. It's not general purpose. Walt used one
to get the camera on the end of his Cullman extension pole right down on the
ground. He posted this and the following
two images of that set-up.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Tech/QR_Receivers&image=Cullman01.jpeg>

Moose