Re: [OM] Who uses a Bogen/Manfrotto 410/3275 geared head?

Subject: Re: [OM] Who uses a Bogen/Manfrotto 410/3275 geared head?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2011 21:54:08 -0700
On 7/30/2011 6:52 PM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> I just bought a used version of the small Bogen/Manfrotto 410 geared
> tripod head.  It's something I've wanted for years since my other tripod
> head tends to be less than smooth in its operation.  It can be very
> jerky in its adjustments at times which is very frustrating.

Wonderful head! The perfect thing for anything where nice, smooth, precise
positioning is useful.

> I knew that the 410 used different QR plates but I really wasn't
> prepared for how large they are.  Despite being for the "small" geared
> head the QR plates look like they were designed for a 6x7 camera.  I
> also had just purchased some "anti-twist" plates for my other (much
> smaller) Manfrotto QR plates.  But I don't see such an accessory for
> these 410 plates.  Do they grip well enough that the anti-twist plates
> are not required?

No, not really. If you have enough contact area between whatever you are
securing to it, tighten really tight, and don't
have something long and heavy mounted on the camera, it's mostly OK. Like my
other Manfrotto head, it goes to the side
the wrong way, so that any heavy lens is working to unscrew it.

This means that mounting a plate receiver like the Cullman won't work, even
with anti-rotation plates, unless the
receiver is secured.

The real solution is to rotate the camera atop the head, not flop the head to
the side. A simple bracket that turns the
camera for portrait atop the head works well for many uses. I have an old
Stroboframe (not the fancy flash thingie),
which is not bad, but flexes under heavy loads An Arca-Swiss style head and an
L bracket on the camera will work perfectly.

Absent all that, the 410 heads have threaded holes for the 1/4" & 3/8" tripod
threads that would allow one to put in a
stop for rotation. This shows where they are.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Tech/QR_Receivers&image=_MG_2674cria60.jpg>

> Finally, I seem to recall that someone (Walt&  Moose?) had modified
> their 410 plates using a Cullmann QR assembly like this one (?)
> <http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/511754-REG/Cullmann_CU_40440_Medium_Quick_Release_Assembly.html>
>
> Do I have this anywhere near correct?  It was a long time ago.

Yup. I see Cullman has improved their receiver to be more compact and what
appears to be metal, rather than the plastic
you saw in my long ago post.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Tech/QR_Receivers&image=CRW_1505.jpg>

The next two images in the gallery show it with an OM-4 with Winder 2 and
35-105 mounted on it.

I've largely switched to using Velbon QR-3 series QR. The very small receiver
is sort of funny looking on the big 410
plate.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Tech/QR_Receivers&image=_MG_2671cria50.jpg>

But it fits perfectly on my most used ball head and I have a smaller ball head
for tiny tripod/monopod with QR-3
receiver built-in. No anti-rotation plates, but I'm going to move the receiver
on the 410 plate forward along the
mounting screw slot and either cut down that long 3/8 bolt, find a short one
with a head that will fit below the plate
or simply use a piece of threaded rod. that will keep the receiver from
rotating, as well as any camera counted on it.
Guess I'll need a hard rubber or plastic collar to keep the threads from
marring cameras.

On a ball head, one need only flop to the correct side, so the lens is trying
to tighten the tripod mounting screw.

As you can see, I bought a second QR plate for the 410, so I can have one with
my current QR receiver mounted and
another for other uses.

Q. R. Moose

Moose