Re: [OM] Who uses a Bogen/Manfrotto 410/3275 geared head?

Subject: Re: [OM] Who uses a Bogen/Manfrotto 410/3275 geared head?
From: Ian Nichols <ian.a.nichols@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2011 11:01:03 +0100
On 31 July 2011 02:52, Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I just bought a used version of the small Bogen/Manfrotto 410 geared
> tripod head.  It's something I've wanted for years since my other tripod
> head tends to be less than smooth in its operation.  It can be very
> jerky in its adjustments at times which is very frustrating.

Me too, I've got one of those.

> I knew that the 410 used different QR plates but I really wasn't
> prepared for how large they are.  Despite being for the "small" geared
> head the QR plates look like they were designed for a 6x7 camera.  I
> also had just purchased some "anti-twist" plates for my other (much
> smaller) Manfrotto QR plates.  But I don't see such an accessory for
> these 410 plates.  Do they grip well enough that the anti-twist plates
> are not required?

Apologies in advance, because the following won't be helpful or even
constructive.  I hate quick release plates.  I hate them because a)
you need an extra tool (even if it's only a coin of some sort) to fix
them to the camera tightly enough that they stay where you put them;
b) that process is more fiddly & time consuming than using a big
old-fashioned handwheel tripod screw and c) a QR plate of any sort
changes the shape of the camera so that it doesn't fit in the bag
properly anymore and can't usually be set down on a level surface
without rolling over.

For the amount of fitting cameras to tripods and removing them again
that I actually do, a nice big handwheel is my preference.

--
Stand firm for what you believe in, until and unless logic and experience
prove you wrong.  Remember: when the emperor looks naked, the emperor *is*

-Daria Morgendorffer