Re: [OM] Who uses a Bogen/Manfrotto 410/3275 geared head?

Subject: Re: [OM] Who uses a Bogen/Manfrotto 410/3275 geared head?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2011 14:44:58 -0700
On 7/31/2011 3:01 AM, Ian Nichols wrote:
> . . . Apologies in advance, because the following won't be helpful or even
> constructive. I hate quick release plates.
> I hate them because a) you need an extra tool (even if it's only a coin of
> some sort) to fix them to the camera
> tightly enough that they stay where you put them; b) that process is more
> fiddly & time consuming than using a big
> old-fashioned handwheel tripod screw and c) a QR plate of any sort changes
> the shape of the camera so that it doesn't
> fit in the bag properly anymore and can't usually be set down on a level
> surface without rolling over. For the amount
> of fitting cameras to tripods and removing them again that I actually do, a
> nice big handwheel is my preference.

I used to agree with you much more than I do now.

My most used head is a ball head with nice, big thumb wheel. I used and loved
it for years. Still, now that I have
standardized on one small QR plate, I have a receiver on that head, too. It
really is quicker than the wheel, and the
cameras used with it already have plates on them. The plates are small enough
that they don't get in the way with my
camera bags. Only the compacts live without plate attached, and have one added
when, very rarely, needed.

Moose