Re: [OM] Off camera flash with the OM-4T

Subject: Re: [OM] Off camera flash with the OM-4T
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 18:23:35 -0400
Dr. Flash generally keeps it pretty simple if limited to a single flash
unit.  I generally use my Canon 540EZ (manual only on digital) with the
head tilted up about 75 degrees.  I then slide the wide angle panel out
but not far enough that it folds over the flash head which is its normal
orientation.  When it's left just sticking out it acts as a reflector.
Most of the flash hits the ceiling and bounces down to the subject.  But
the wide angle panel manages to reflect enough forward that it serves as
fill light for the shadows caused by the light coming down from the
ceiling.  Later model Canon flash units have both the wide angle panel
and a white reflector panel which is used the same way.  You can do the
same with a T32 by pointing the head up and taping a white card to the
top of the flash close to the head.

An off-camera bracket is really only useful for direct flash which is
really too harsh and best avoided if possible.

Dr. Flash