Re: [OM] off camera flash with the OM-4T

Subject: Re: [OM] off camera flash with the OM-4T
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 14:40:43 -0400
Why use a transmitter?  Use a T32 (very easily hand held due to its
small size) and run a coiled 0.6 meter TTL cord to the TTL socket on the
camera.  If that's not long enough cut a 2 meter TTL cord down to size
by cutting a meter or so out of the middle and then join the cut ends
with some sort of pluggable connector (maybe Cat5 socket and plug?).

If you run the connector to the socket on the side of the flash... see
photo here, sockets near the numbers
<http://www.chucknorcutt.com/gear/Umbrella%20adapter%20mounted%20on%20tripod%20%232.jpg>
that leaves the hot shoe on the camera unencumbered.  When you get tired
of carrying the flash in your hand just pop it into the shoe.  This
allows you to use TTL if you want or, if you want to use manual methods,
you can switch the T32 to manual with guide numbers 52 or 104 (feet) or
10 or 20 meters.

Everything you need for the cost of a T32 ($30-40) and an OM TTL cable
($10?) and also usable in TTL, flash controlled auto mode or manual.
Easy to carry and you can hang the flash in the camera's shoe when you
get tired of hand holding it.

Chuck Norcutt