Re: [OM] Off camera flash with the OM-4T

Subject: Re: [OM] Off camera flash with the OM-4T
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2011 09:23:33 -0400
Dr. Flash didn't have his head screwed on correctly for FP mode.  The
sync speed rule only pertains to electronic flash due to the extremely
short burn time.  For FP, the burn duration need only be as long as the
shutter speed plus some slop to get the bulb lit and the light level
stable.

In rethinking it I do think auto mode should work provided the light
level is stable during and just ahead of the exposure.  For shutter
speeds faster than the sync speed the auto exposure needs to be read
from the shutter curtains ahead of the opening of the shutter (thus the
need for stable light level ahead of shutter release).  The reason it's
required is that the shutter curtains are not completely open at speeds
faster than the sync speed and only form a moving slit across the film.
  If the camera was to try to vary the speed during the exposure parts
of the frame would be exposed differently.  For speeds at the sync speed
the shutter curtains are completely open.  The camera then has time to
integrate the OTF reading and decide when to close the second curtain.
I suspect this might not work exactly at the sync speed.  It might need
something a bit slower to be able to exercise some control.

So, as Jeff suggests, I think it really should operate like a high power
FP mode electronic flash... especially since that's exactly what the FP
mode electronic flash is trying to emulate.  The only thing that bothers
me about this is that the OM-2 manual is clearly saying to use the
camera in manual mode for FP type bulbs.  Doesn't yet make complete
sense to me.  Maybe they're suggesting manual mode based on the diverse
characteristics of different classes of FP bulbs???

Dr. Flash