Re: [OM] Off camera flash with the OM-4T

Subject: Re: [OM] Off camera flash with the OM-4T
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 16:02:05 -0400
I would also recommend wireless if you don't mind spending the money for
your application but I bring up the cost as a possible issue because I'm
no longer enamored by cheap ebay flash triggers.  Too many problems with
distance and reliability even at close distances.  If using radio slaves
I recommend this as an extremely rugged hot shoe adapter by Paramount.
Its miniphone connector is compatible with Pocket Wizard and many other
radio slave connectors.  The price here is the best I've ever seen since
I've paid as much for used ones.
<http://www.amazon.com/Paramount-Straight-Miniphone-Female-Pocket/dp/B000ND2AKC/ref=sr_1_36?ie=UTF8&qid=1302810435&sr=8-36>

If all you want to do is get the flash off the camera but not
necessarily very far then I would recommend an Autoconnector T20
<http://olympus.dementia.org/eSIF/om-sif/flashphotogroup/ttl_auto_connector_t20.htm>
mounted on top of an inexpensive flash bracket such as the Stroboframe
QuickFlip 350
<http://cgi.ebay.com/Stroboframe-Quick-Flip-35mm-Flash-Bracket-Complete-/150591535269?pt=Camera_Flash_Accessories&hash=item230ff478a5>
You can then connect the camera to the Autoconnector T20 via a short TTL
cable from the camera's TTL socket or from the flash shoe using the shoe
cord (all found here)
<http://olympus.dementia.org/eSIF/om-sif/flashphotogroup/ttl_auto_cords_t.htm>

Using OM TTL gear will allow you to use a T20 or T32 or other OM TTL
compatible flash in TTL, auto or manual modes if desired.  But you can
also use any standard flash unit in manual or auto modes since the only
electrical contact required is the center trigger which is standard for
all hot shoe flash units made by any manufacturer.

If you don't want to use the Autoconnector T20 (but I think you should
for a wired connection to an OM body) then you can use something like
this Seagull SC2 connector which has a hot shoe contact as well as a PC
socket to which you can plug a PC cable to camera or a radio slave.
<http://cgi.ebay.com/SEAGULL-SC-2-Flash-Hot-Shoe-Adapter-PC-Sync-socket-/350390301977?pt=Camera_Flash_Accessories&hash=item5194e3b519>

There are also many other ways to do it.  The question is: What is your
end goal?  Does it include getting the flash way off camera (beyond the
flash bracket's reach) and does it include more than one flash?

Dr. Flash