Re: [OM] Contax G

Subject: Re: [OM] Contax G
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 16:39:24 -0400
Long before we get to P mode there's a fundamental question in my mind
about the efficacy of the various matrix metering systems.  I remember
being constantly amazed by my first digital camera, a small P&S Nikon
CoolPix 800 with all of 2MP.  Despite it's lowly specifications it also
boasted a 256 element matrix metering system and almost always seemed to
nail the exposure.

Let's say you were to take that Coolpix 800, or my Canon 5D or Bob's
Nikon D3 into a slot canyon at match them up against an OM-3/4 with
multi-spot metering (and the requisite skills to use it).  I've never
been in a slot canyon but I understand that exposure measurements there
are about as tough as they come.  That would seem to be so from these:
<http://www.google.com/search?q=images+%22slot+canyon%22&hl=en&lr=&prmd=ivns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=jrekTamlGNOG0QHxhs3uCA&ved=0CCYQsAQ&biw=1018&bih=630>

The question is how much difference might there be in a sophisticated
matrix metering measurement vs. the OM-3/4 and multiple spot metering?
Enough that we should care?  I don't know but I'd like to.

Chuck Norcutt