Re: [OM] (OT) G12

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT) G12
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2010 17:23:26 -0700
On 10/27/2010 4:55 AM, Bob Whitmire wrote:
> .... So I'm in the market for one of those camera harness things that
> resemble what birders use to hold their 'nocks.
>
> Anyone got any recommendations of such devices that work? I seem to recall a
> shot of Moose wearing something like that once, but I saw no evidence of it
> on his visit.

Here's the demo shot.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Miscellaneous/Images&image=IMG_1277ptlcrni.jpg>

It was in a bag somewhere. Didn't use it, though. When I'm really shooting, the
camera spends a lot of time hanging from
my hand by the hand strap, with the neck strap hanging down. so my neck gets a
lot of rest. That said, a long walk with
little use of the camera is much easier with the harness.

As you can see, mine has no brand on it. The crummy little umpteenth generation
photocopied sheet says Hugger Strap.
I've tried a few on at various shops. Birding places that sell binocs tend to
have them. The shop at Maine Audubon's
Gilsland Farm in Falmouth had a couple of kinds, but I didn't like either.

The design is dead simple, and I think some are sort of cottage industry
products. The key to me is to get one with
non-elastic straps. Most seem to use elastic. I find them less comfortable.
With a heavy camera, they tend to sag, which
will only get worse with age. If I tighten them up the elastic stretches and
grabs against my clothes. Then it gets
uncomfortable.

With regular nylon straps, you can get a fit that holds the camera properly
while remaining loose and non-grabby so that
it doesn't interfere with movement.

For binoculars, we use a much lighter harness made from round nylon cord, maybe
3/16", 1/4"?

Moose Carryin' On