Re: [OM] (OT) G12

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT) G12
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 08:08:04 -0500
> Glad you brought that up. My camera bag weighs in at close to 30 pounds (13.6
> kilos) when all gear is in place.

WOW!!! And here I thought I was bad. Hmmm........

OK, if I'm hauling a double-kit, I'm around 30 pounds if I include the
tripod. But I won't go far with that. Location portrait work? Yeah,
double that, but the studio lights and backdrops wouldn't go
back-country with me.

Over the past several months I've been testing different camera
configurations looking for the right balance of capability and weight.
First of all, I'm pretty well convinced that the LowePro 300AW thingy
is one of the most miserable affairs there is. It's a heavy bag and
doesn't offer much advantage. It's one of those bags that just fights
you with equipment placement with stuff stacked in wierd ways. My
favorite backpack is still that Canon bag. Mine died with zipper
failure, but Christmas is coming!!! I will be getting another
one--possibly two. One for digital, one for film. My thinking is this:
 If it doesn't fit in the Canon bag, it shouldn't go. A fully loaded
bag comes in at almost the perfect weight. Oh, and the strap options
on it allow me to easily strap a tripod to it.

Oh, and it will hold a water bottle in the mesh pocket.

AG