Re: [OM] iPhone et al

Subject: Re: [OM] iPhone et al
From: Scott Gomez <sgomez.baja@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 21:20:25 -0700
There are some Macintosh apps where I think that the Macintosh, from a
simplicity of use factor, is head-and-shoulders above others. Production of
simple multimedia presentations is one. But that's simply a matter of the
choice of UI, and while it means Apple has a significant lead now, it does
not mean that others can't implement similar UI changes that could eliminate
that lead quite easily.

The Apple UI does have some annoying quirks, however. Such as the ambiguity
about "closing" a program (using the red button in the corner of the
window). If I push the close button, is the application closed, or simply
removed from view? Sometimes it appears to be one, sometimes the other. I've
yet to find a pattern to when which thing happens, and there are occasions
where that's supremely annoying.

The iPhone, however (and the iPad, for that use I have had of it so far)
just feel like a very constrained couple of boxen. Do it Jobs' way, or hit
the highway. And there's far too many times I've found myself not making
head or tails of the "intuitive" (and label-less) iconography. Then it's
poke and ponder time.