Re: [OM] How to take proper product pics outside (WB?)

Subject: Re: [OM] How to take proper product pics outside (WB?)
From: Olaf Greve <ogreve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2010 16:39:46 +0200
Hi Chuck,

 >I didn't realize you'd be shooting something as large as 60cm.  I
 >suspect your existing setup would perform well with that... tall and
 >narrow diffuser panels parallel and equidistant from the shell
standing
 >on its end.

It kinda works, but it is somewhat clumsy as I don't have nice stands
for the loose panels... Anyway, a mixture of diffusers (varying per
subject as needed) will of course always be an option.

 >Here's a better illustration of a shoot-through brolly box.
 ><http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/686037-REG/Interfit_INT383_Umbrella_Box_with_8mm.html
 >

 >The light is firing straight through the white part of the umbrella
but
 >a lot is being reflected back.  But the inside of the black panel is
 >typically a silvery material that reflects it back again.

O.k., so I see it works as I already assumed. Nice. I like them.
Chances are very good I'll give them a go. I guess two of them would
do, but maybe I could do with three as that's the maximum amount of
externally, remote, mounted flashes I could steer with my current
flash gear anyway, and it may come in handy someday for doing studio
family pics, or in case one of our gremlins breaks one of the brolly
boxes (a not entirely unlikely scenario, given their track
record ;) )...

Your custom twin T32 mount looks nice! That must provide a LOT of power!

I really like the tripod head you sent the pictures of: I have in
total 3 T20 autoconnectors, so I could put those on 3 such heads and
then use them at will with the T20s + T32 / T28 (I know that the T32
and T28 can do perfectly well with the accompanying cold shoe, but it
may make switching gear around a bit easier if all three heads simply
have T20 autoconnectors on them, and... I'd then finally be using most
of my flash gear somewhat more). :)

Another thing that may be an alternative someday, if they come by
cheaply, would be to just use studio lights, which would of course
also help the focussing process, especially when shooting with the
stopped down 50/3.5, but I fear these lamps are expensive. It's kinda
more fun to be using the complex OM-gear set-up again, and spare the
cost of lamps. :P

Cheers,
Olafo