Re: [OM] How to take proper product pics outside (WB?)

Subject: Re: [OM] How to take proper product pics outside (WB?)
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2010 17:44:35 -0400
Hold on!  I think you're too quick to move on before fully testing what
you've got.  I've done a fair amount of jewelry shooting with a light
tent like this
<http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/331829-REG/Interfit_INT297_Light_Pod_Medium_Cocoon.html>

Or at least tried to.  I found this type of tent to be too restrictive
to work in and too limited on camera angle.

I find it much more comfortable and just as effective to work on an open
table top with flash units and large diffusers much as you're doing now.
  However, I have never used a light tent like this one
<http://www.qflash.nl/index.php?item=foto-opnamebox-60x60x60-cm&action=article&group_id=29&aid=107&lang=NL>

or this one
<http://www.qflash.nl/index.php?item=opname-tent-75x75x75cm&action=article&group_id=29&aid=237&lang=NL>

If I were to try it I'd go for the largest one possible for the space
since I find it very frustrating to bump into some edge of the light
tent and disturb the setup while trying to make adjustments.  But I
assume you are shooting nearly straight down on your targets so be sure
you can support the target in a way that gives you a good shot while
also not putting you into a contorted shooting position.  As I recall
you're going to be doing lots of this work and you need to be comfortable.

If you were to use umbrellas I'd recommend that you use translucent
"brolly boxes" which are a cross between umbrellas and soft boxes.  A
translucent brolly box is like a shoot through umbrella except that what
would normally be the open side of an umbrella is mostly closed off with
a reflective panel like this
<http://cgi.ebay.com/36-Umbrella-Softbox-Soft-Brolly-Box-Translucent-white-/250698705043?pt=Camera_Flash_Accessories&hash=item3a5ecea893>
or from your chosen supplier Qflash.nl
<http://www.qflash.nl/index.php?item=paraplu-softbox&action=article&group_id=17&aid=160&lang=NL>
Unfortunately, Qflash does not specify the size.  I have a couple that
are only about 60cm across but on ebay you can find them up to about 1.5
meters.

In your case, I think the brolly box over the regular shoot-through
umbrella is important because your flash units are rather low power.
The brolly box catches and reflects most of the light that would
otherwise escape in a shoot-through configuration.  Brolly boxes are
also available as reflective rather than translucent but I recommend
translucent umbrellas since you can get them closer to the subject which
produces a softer light.

But whatever the light source I still suggest working on an open table
top if you can.  The following jewelry shots were made on an open table
in a studio.  I can't recall now if these particular ones were made with
studio lights and softboxes or window light with a white reflector on
the other side.  I've done some both ways.  The background is flat black
Formica (plastic laminate used on kitchen countertops, etc.)  Visit a
cabinet maker's shop and get scraps of your favorite colors.

And don't spend more money unless you want to or until you've proven
what you've already got won't work for you... but the brolly boxes will
make a nice little studio setup for portrait work.  When doing portraits
with 2 lights typically one light is about 1/2 stop (women, children,
families) to 1 stop or more (men) brighter than the other.  So put the
T32 in one of the brollies for the main light and a T20 in the other for
fill light.

Good luck

Dr. (sometimes) Flash