Re: [OM] Feeding the rumor mill

Subject: Re: [OM] Feeding the rumor mill
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2010 10:19:53 -0700
> From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> I've seen some very large prints done from 5D and 5D Mk II files.
> Talking 40x60 here. Maybe larger. (I didn't have a tape on me. <g>)
> With proper post-processing discipline, they look good, even from
> length-of-nose viewing distance.

Haven't touched it in years, but in the early naughties (2000-2003) I was
making 24"x36" prints from ~5 megapixel images (using Genuine Fractals and
other techniques) that people thought came from large format film.

<rant>Not pointing fingers at anyone in particular, but sometimes I think the
"golden eyes" folk like to spend money more than create art.

For a long time, it was "digital needs to catch up to 35mm film," which most
experts pegged at between 10 and 12 megapixels. Now that we have that, it seems
20 Mpx isn't even good enough, and people are talking about ditching cameras
because of *perceived* inability to keep up with *future* developments in other
cameras!

"Equipment thrash" seriously gets in the way of art. Do good art until the
equipment really is in the way -- I haven't seen many arguments that 4/3rds is
actually in the way of too many things, and in some areas (sensor cleaning,
image stabilization), it appears to still have an edge.

For example, when I read on this list of all the shenanigans it takes to keep a
Canon sensor clean, I'm reminded of PC weenies figuring out how to set their
DIP switches while the Mac users were figuring out how to HDR-stack images in
Photoshop. Not having to worry about dirty sensors and not having to carry a
tripod does me a lot more good than a 20 megapixel sensor!

Personally, I can't afford to change systems the moment some competitor comes
out with some desired feature or indulges in some other specification
one-upmanship. I'll be sticking with 4/3rds until long after it's been
officially pronounced dead by those who prefer tech to art!

In the meantime, if someone is willing to pay me to do a 40"x60" print, I'll
accomplish it with my E-3 and software. I'll wager that 99% of the images taken
by those on this list never end up being viewed at more than screen resolution
-- if so, than 20 megapixels is a horrible misuse of resources in most
cases!</rant>