Re: [OM] Feeding the rumor mill

Subject: Re: [OM] Feeding the rumor mill
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2010 12:56:22 -0400
About a year or two ago I found a new NEC 21" CRT for sale (about $400
IIRC) and the seller had a couple of them.  But I hesitated.  The last
time I looked there were none to be found, not only NEC but any brand.
So this 17" Samsung SyncMaster which has been soldiering on for about 6
years will have to keep on truckin' until it falls over dead or the
color can no longer be corrected with the Monaco EZcolor Suite.  I'm
surprised since I've been told that CRTs typically last 5-6 years but
this one is still going strong.  Not great for architectural stuff
though as it has some variation in magnification from one side of the
screen to the other.

I'm just hoping it lasts long enough that the $1000 LCDs have dropped
dramatically in price.  Maybe Samsung will have figured out by then how
to make a moderately large though inexpensive AMOLED display by then.
If must be a tough nut to crack.  They produced a proof of concept 40"
TV back in 2006.  But nothing new there in the past 4 years except for
phone and small iPad size displays.

Chuck Norcutt