Re: [OM] Feeding the rumor mill

Subject: Re: [OM] Feeding the rumor mill
From: "|-o-|" <oice500@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2010 01:52:32 +1000 (EST)
Brian said

>>> The other day I was looking over some of my E-1 shots, and it seemed to
>>> me that the colours were richer (maybe more saturated) than with E-510
>>> and E-3. I never run my digitals with in-camera saturation enhanced (as
>>> far as I remember), so it is something intrinsic to the camera.

Chuck said

>> And I never notice such things because I only shoot raw and post-process
>> everything to my liking.  The only JPEGs I shoot and don't fiddle with
>> are a couple shots about every six months to check for dust.  :-)

Wiliam said

> I have the same feeling as Brian describes and also it seems to me that the
> E-1 shots are sharper than the E-3 shots, although the resolution is lower.

I say

I prefer the E1
I only shoot in raw on all my cameras, convert using DCRAW to TIF,
and occasionally change gamma/contrast/brightness and create
JPG's using PMView all under OS/2. Old habits die hard, I adjust
the controls on the E1 in a similiar way I would do with an OM4.

The E510, though it had some nice features when I bought it, didnt
compare which is why it has a new home.

The E450 certainly produces some real omph shots with good
colors but still lacks the E1 magic. So I now leave the E450 in
program mode.

The E3, though the handlings ok and often produces great pics
still miss's that something extra the E1 has. Yes. the Kodak sensor
I think is the main reason but its also as if the onboard CPU/software
has also taken a step backwards in how it process's the data
it receives from the sensor.

Laterly I've been converting from raw to TIF using Olympus Viewer II
but I cant see that much difference in the output between that and
DCRAW when I zoom in on sections.

I use a CRT, because it has a better contrast/brightness ratio,
and color depth that any of the LCD displays floating around here.

The only LCD displays I've seen that I like are all over AU$1000,
so its something for a future purchase for me if and when it
becomes important enough to 'upgrade'.

Cheers
Ian Manners