Re: [OM] Feeding the rumor mill

Subject: Re: [OM] Feeding the rumor mill
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2010 17:15:32 -0400
By chance I just got my monthly copy of RangeFinder magazine today and
just finished reading an article by photographer David Jenkins entitled
"Breaking Into Architectural Photography the Digital Way".  Jenkins has
been a photographer for 40 years and has always done some small amount
of architectural photography.  Over the past couple of years he's
decided to do much more of it and digital has totally changed his way of
working.  Over the years he has moved from 4x5 to Pentax 6x7 and Mamiya
RB67 and to his last film camera, a Fuji GX680.  He shot his last roll
of film on June 28, 2003 (pretty precise about that) when he bought a
Canon 10D.  At the time he was shooting lots of weddings.  His wedding
business declined and in 2007 he started moving much more heavily into
architectural work using a Canon 5D with 17-35/2.8L lens and also a
24mm/3.5L tilt/shift lens.  If he has other Canon lenses he doesn't
mention then.

Anyhow, the point of this intro is to lead into his comment here:

"I'm sure that a properly exposed sheet of 4x5 film exceeds a 5D file in
absolute photographic quality.  However, those digital files print
exceedingly well at high magnifications, well enough to satisfy just
about any client - whether they're an architect or a magazine.
Personally, I quit worrying about enlarging digital files when I found
that a file from my original 6-megapixel 10D would make a 16x20 print
indistinguishable from one made with a fine-grain negative shot with my
Pentax 6x7."

Chuck Norcutt