Re: [OM] Feeding the rumor mill

Subject: Re: [OM] Feeding the rumor mill
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2010 17:19:58 -0400
It appears that your hypothesis hasn't stood up to your own test case.
I took your four test images and combined them into a single composite
image for ease of testing.  I created an 800 x 800 composite image
containing all four 300 x 300 squares.  For the printing I used some
inexpensive glossy Kodak paper on my inexpensive HP D7560 (CMYK + photo
black).  This paper has never been used on this printer before and there
is no profile for it.  Even so the color squares look pretty good.

 From your own description of expectations and my own view of my not so
keen eyes I expected the B&W 300 dpi test (1" squares) to show me just a
middle gray square with none of the lines resolved.  My unaided eyes do
not show clearly resolved lines but neither to they show a simple gray
patch.  My eyes clearly sense there is detail there that I can't quite
make out.  That was a bit of a surprise since, by rights, at 300 dpi, I
don't think I'm supposed to be able to make out any detail.  Next, from
examining the print with a low power 2-3X magnifier, it's clear that the
printer itself has clearly resolved the lines at 300 dpi.

Next I tried rezzing up the image to twice its size giving a 1600 x 1600
image with the lines spaced at 150 dpi.  When that one is printed I can
clearly see the lines even from about 20" away using my "computer
glasses".  Then I did another test reducing the resolution from the
original 300 dpi to 250 dpi.  I chose that number since that's what Mpix
uses and I stopped sending prints there because of it.  Once again I was
surprised that I can clearly see the lines at reading distance and
beyond at 250 dpi.

Adding the color patches makes the lines not quite so clear but doesn't
really change the result.  I can still see what I saw in the B&W patches
but I have to look a bit more closely.

I guess I was also surprised that the inexpensive HP printer resolved
the 300 dpi on the paper.  But it did show that it has other maladies.
There are periodic bright lines and dark lines spaced at probably what
is the print head width.  Or it may be that the printer would prefer 288
dpi or some other unique integer number to line up with the native dot
spacing.

Anyhow my view of 300 dpi for print resolution is now not that it can be
reduced but perhaps might even need to be higher.

Chuck Norcutt