Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 22/5/2010: battle of ideas on the T

Subject: Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 22/5/2010: battle of ideas on the T
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 May 2010 16:35:09 -0700
On 5/23/2010 3:46 AM, Chris Barker wrote:
> It's not used like that Over Here, Moose.
>
> It's called adding: "... I added her [on FAceBook] ...", is a common thing
> from my younger, as-yet-unattached, son.
>
> Whatever the provenance, it's still a corruption.

Look at old English. Everything you write or say is a corruption, an
invention to accommodate new technology or an intrusion from another
language - usually itself corrupted.

Think about it, I'm sure that like me, you have words you know that were
in common use when you were younger, but that you neither use nor hear
today. Is "soft buttons", which you recommended yesterday in your
dictionary?

Language is naturally growing and changing. The process of "friending"
on social networking sites, although partially analogous to making
friends in person, it is also different in significant ways, so a new
word that recognizes that seem to me to be appropriate. Like "steering
wheel",  "hard drive" "fanjet", "email, the verb" and so on and on.

Ooooh, I just ran the spell checker, and it agrees with Andrew and
Brian, suggesting "befriending". But I agree with Andrew, it isn't
really quite the same thing. The physical technique and the social
connotations are different.

Moose