[OM] Close encounter of the first kind

Subject: [OM] Close encounter of the first kind
From: "Sue Pearce" <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 15:51:18 -0500
I was in a local BestBuy today, and there was, out where it could be
handled, was an Olympus E-PL1. I picked it up, and there was power, so I
gave things a try.

The AF was not as bad as reviews have indicated. In good light, it was only
slightly slower than my D3 and D700, and much faster than my M9. In poor
light, it would either focus quickly, or not at all.

The body is small and light, but the lens looks only slightly smaller than
the new Sony.

Som reactions: It is indeed possible to minaturize a camera body with
improved electronics, but a lens will always be what it is. There is no
rational way to make a zoom lens that is in porportion with the body.

There is no one that can make a good optical viewfinder in all of Japan,
except for one guy at cosina. All others are dead or retired. I'm of the
opinion that shooting from the screen on the back is one of the things that
heralds the end of the earth, but we should all get used to it.

And, there will always be a camera with a better sensor, viewfinder and
faster AF for at least $100 less from either Canon or Nikon.

Bill Pearce