Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 22/5/2010: battle of ideas on the T

Subject: Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 22/5/2010: battle of ideas on the T
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 May 2010 16:23:02 -0700
On 5/23/2010 6:03 AM, Wayne Harridge wrote:
> Ok, so we substitute befriend for friend, I still don't understand "THEY
> WOULD FRIEND EACH OTHER" when applied to a hamburger and some chips.

Let me break it down for you.

"If our burger and our fries were sentient beings who used Facebook,
they are so perfectly suited to each other that they would inevitably
choose to be Facebook friends with each other."

I.E. burger and fries/chips are natural together, one incomplete without
the other, like love & marriage, horse & carriage, etc., to use a
reference old enough that you may get it. ;-)

It's perfect adspeak, taking a banal given and making it sound new by
couching it in terms of a contemporary vernacular. An important part of
it is a subtext that each would choose the other, the attraction being
mutual.

Moose