[OM] Idiots, corporate idiots

Subject: [OM] Idiots, corporate idiots
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 23:04:42 +1000
I'm now of the considered opinion that Sony has botched the launch of
their NEX models in an attempt to get them out fast. Releasing them to
the media for evaluation with sub-standard lenses was a masterstroke
of ineptitude. Obviously they think that we'll be so awed by their
cuteness that we won't notice the crap image quality.
I suspect that they aren't aware that there are three levels of review -
   Consumer - the gung-ho churnalistic rewrites of press releases
found in the daily press and many on-line sites.
   Enthusiast - a shortish but genuine attempt to assess the camera in
actual use.
   Professional - exhaustive sites like DPReview that really assess
the unit.
They think it's all about the first level. Idiots.
Now they've pissed off DPReview by giving them crap pre-production
samples without telling them, making a deal with them about it but
giving final examples to their competitors. You just don't do that!
Hanlon's Razor indicates that this is due to stupidity rather than
malice.
Good grief - heads must roll.
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx