Re: [OM] Another mini adventure

Subject: Re: [OM] Another mini adventure
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2010 21:24:03 -0700
On 3/27/2010 10:48 AM, Ken Norton wrote:
> Moose, the bokeh in the heron photo is really disturbing--like the picture
> was taken with a mirror lens.  What's up with that?

Yeah, the "drawing" overall is  ... different ... I was trying out the
Tokina 150-500/5.6 on the 5D for the first time. I'd taken it to
Monterey with me, but forgot the OM=>EF adapter. Believe me, I was
kicking myself when I got it out to shoot the mother sea otters with
their pups and it wouldn't fit on the camera.

That lens is capable of fine images @ 500mm on film.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/MPhotos/Home/Towhee.htm>

Part of the odd appearance is apparently just interaction of the OOF
characteristics with the particular texture of the sea grass, as the
next two images are with the same lens and settings, 500mm and f11. The
crops I posted aren't tack sharp, but neither are they so weird looking.
It's also clear that my tripod setup wasn't ideal, and may have affected
sharpness. The Towee shot above was taken using a very heavy duty
Manfrotto, while at Albion I used a medium weight graphite tripod with
light QRs. Next time ...

I don't know much as yet about any specific interaction of that lens
with a digital sensor. I suppose the Sigma 600/8 mirror lens would have
been a bigger disaster with donut specular highlights. :-)

Moose