Re: [OM] computer monitors by brand

Subject: Re: [OM] computer monitors by brand
From: James King <jking@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2010 09:02:45 +0000
The technology used in the panel is really important. Many cheaper
panels use technology that cant actually do 8 buts per colours - typical
panels can only manage 6 bits. The processing inside the panel then maps
the 8 bit input into the available colours. Most don't even try to do a
linear mapping and either throw away the dark most colours or make the
light most colours all white. This shows up on a grey scale really
easily. Like many many things in the computer industry the
specifications are not worth the paper they are written on, for exam the
contrast is measured by taking the dimmest possible back light setting
and the brightest possible back light setting which is 1000s of times
more contrast than can be obtained in a real picture where the panel
blocks a constant back light. As you would expect no specs are provided
for things that matter like even illumination throughout the screen or
red, green, blue colour purity or linearity of the colours or back light
leakage around the edge of the screen or screen reflectivity or contrast
with a constant back light or purity of the white (determined by the
back light) etc etc.

My advice is either find reviews where they actually measure the panel
or use one and display an it8 or HCT colour test chart and look for
strangeness's. I have a dell ultrasharp and am very happy with it - no
dead pixels and is very linear. I measured it and calibrated it using a
colourvision spyder 2 and the linearity is very good.

Summary

TN panels ONLY SUPPORT 6 bit internally AT BEST! ALL that I know of
dither or throw away to accept an 8 bit input AVOID for high end use
IPS cheap ips also dither and are 6 bit internally GOOD ips variants may
handle 8 bit
PVA expensive, cheap will only do 6 bit the medium models (S-PVA) 8 bit
and a few very very expensive 10+ bits

Good luck
James

Companies Act 2006 : http://www.londonmet.ac.uk/companyinfo