Re: [OM] Aperture 3 - quick review

Subject: Re: [OM] Aperture 3 - quick review
From: Marc Lawrence <montsnmags@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 16:59:52 +1000
On 17 February 2010 16:32, Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I don't using the mapping, at the moment, Marc.  But the in UI is nicely
> improved, I think, and using different libraries is simple now.

I've just started using multiple libraries recently (mum's slides,
mum-out-law's slides), and in Aperture 2 it seems...well, "simple now"
is good. I quite like the UI, so I'll be interested to see how it's
changed.

> Your Aperture library is upgraded with the change of version, but that didn't
> take too long (only around 8,000 files in Aperture).

I've 15,000 of my own, which is both much more and much less than I'd
have thought. I think I saw reference to problems with bigger
libraries (45,000?), and also that it happened with some but not
others. There's no response from Apple as yet, so it's hard to know
much at this stage, though the problem seems to occur on the upgrading
of the library file(s) rather than subsequent operation.

> What will take me a loooong time is integrating my iPhoto library with my
>Aperture library.  I have used iPhoto on my MacBook Pro to catalogue photos
>from work, mostly of my students.  But I am moving all that to Aperture.  I
>did it once before, but made a mess of it; I am now going to make it much,
>much tidier.

I've tended towards just using keywords and smart albums. I also don't
get it to move my photos from their original place on my hard disk,
but I do import the folders as projects with the same folder structure
(Camera>YYYYMM>file). I haven't keyworded anywhere near everything
yet, though a few major events and every person in every photo (that I
know) has been keyworded. I love it for its organisation, and I hope
to love it more for places and faces.

> But no memory leaks so far ...

I'm glad, and from what I've read I think you're past the risk point.

Cheers,
Marc (back to scanning...)