[OM] Aperture 3 - quick review

Subject: [OM] Aperture 3 - quick review
From: SwissPace <ian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 10:35:15 +0100
Hi All,

I upgraded to aperture 3, it also seems they have joined the forced
upgrade bandwagon by only including support for sRAW in the newer
version, however it does have some other useful features now like movie
importing, face detection etc.

It was the promise of better performance that really prompted me and it
does seem a bit snappier and now my 5D2 images render almost as fast as
the E3 ones used to (now they are also quicker) . What I didn't like and
wrote to apple in the feedback section  to complain about was the change
to importing which means folders are imported as projects now rather
than albums, I don't mind this but they should have left to option to
import to albums like it was in version 2.

It seems to need a lot of space free space to convert, around 50 percent
so I had to upgrade my library on the external disk which had more free
space and copy it back ( I use rsyncx). however for my 470Gb library it
only increased to 480Gb after the upgrade.

It was only 120 CHF (99USD) so I think it was worth the price for the
sRAW ability, performance and allowing me to also catalogue my movies, I
am running it in 32 bit on my desktop machine because I have some 32 bit
plugin's that I occasionally use and find it runs a little slower than
in 64bit but not enough for me to forgo the convenience. On the laptop
is used the press 6 and 4 while staring to boot into full 64 bit mode
and it seems to run very nicely on that - I love my 17" macbook pro to
me it is the best all round computer available

The face detection seems a neat feature but it took about 2 and a half
days to search through my 45000 photo library however I am not organised
and none of my photos are tagged so it will save me some effort although
I still have to identify each person - The upgrade of the library itself
took about 3 hours (on my desktop macpro - 3 years old) but I am not
sure as I left it running overnight and am guessing by how far it got
with the face detection when I checked in the morning

I have had a play with some of the other new features, the skin
smoothing seems to work nicely and generally the sliders move smoother
and react quicker to render.

So although annoyed that apple didn't provide sRaw functionality in the
previous version and that they messed with the import on the whole I am
happy with the investment.

IanW