Re: [OM] The Eye In The Woods

Subject: Re: [OM] The Eye In The Woods
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 13:07:43 -0800
Brian Swale wrote:

> Chuck Norcutt wrote: >>> Don't worry. ?I'll complain for you. ?I
>
>> Chuck Norcutt wrote: >>> Don't worry. ?I'll complain for you. ?I think it
>> looks metallic, like an aluminum Christmas tree. >>> >> >> OK, let me try
>> again. Look at the color version. >>
>> <http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Miscellaneous&image=_MG_0441cria.jpg>
>>

> I think the crux of the problem is that you have taken the photograph in full
> sunlight with the sun very high. The leaves are not only reflecting light
> like crazy (as such species of tree do), but the whole image is high contrast.

Weeelll, not really - sorta the opposite. Full sun in June would mean
something like sunny-16. With ISO @ 1250, that would be 1/1250 @ f16.
The actual exposure, shown below the image, was 1/200 @ f6.3. That's
more than six stops below sunny-16. It was in fairly deep shade.

> Personally, I would not have taken the shot.

Sorry to disappoint. As I've said before, after I saw the result, I
didn't even process it, and only trotted it out to illustrate a specific
point, not as an example of a good image.

> Under lower light levels with lots of cloud around and it would have been
> much more satisfactory as the shadows would have been lessened, and the peak
> highlights probably would have been absent.

As before, it was, in fact in the shade. Ken already nailed the problem,
in detail; it's just not a proper candidate for an interesting B&W
image. But that's not what my post was about.

Moose