Re: [OM] The Eye In The Woods

Subject: Re: [OM] The Eye In The Woods
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2009 01:16:20 +1300
> On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 3:35 PM, Richard Man <richard.lists@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote: > Um, Moose, I am exposing to get the details of the redwood :-)
>
> > The foliage does look brighter though. I think that's a vuescan >
> artifact. The darkroom print is more toned down. I will play with it a >
> bit.

> > On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 3:11 PM, Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote: >>
Chuck Norcutt wrote: >>> Don't worry. ?I'll complain for you. ?I
> think it looks metallic, like an aluminum Christmas tree. >>> >> >> OK,
> let me try again. Look at the color version. >>
> <http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Miscellaneou
> s&image=_MG_0441cria.jpg>

I think the crux of the problem is that you have taken the photograph in full
sunlight with the sun very high. The leaves are not only reflecting light like
crazy (as such species of tree do), but the whole image is high contrast.

Personally, I would not have taken the shot.

Under lower light levels with lots of cloud around and it would have been
much more satisfactory as the shadows would have been lessened, and the
peak highlights probably would have been absent.

Brian Swale.