Re: [OM] Who in the world writes this junk? - Raw software rant.

Subject: Re: [OM] Who in the world writes this junk? - Raw software rant.
From: Jim Couch <zuikoholic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2009 21:00:30 -0800
A new computer is in the near future, one that will be primarily used
for image editing, but I wanted to have some idea of what software I
would be running on it, and perhaps get the software and use it in the
meantime. I am beginning to wonder if that approach will work. I may
need to get the hardware and install trial versions of the final
contenders on the new machine to make sure they work!

I do think it is also matter of finding one that will work for me and
getting used to it. I agree that cost seems to have no bearing in how
good, useful, easy to use, ect a given piece of software is. I will
probably give ImageMagick a spin as well, but am not big on command line
stuff.

I am not into a lot of photo editing myself, I really want something
that can do the raw conversion, do corrections for WB and exposure where
needed and some light editing (dust spotting, level a horizon, highlight
recovery) and do it quickly, efficiently with hopefully a moderate
learning curve.

The flip side to my rant, is that it has been rather easy to eliminate
many possible contenders! :)

Jim Couch