Re: [OM] Who in the world writes this junk? - Raw software rant.

Subject: Re: [OM] Who in the world writes this junk? - Raw software rant.
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2009 21:30:58 -0800
Jim Couch wrote:
> One is an old creaky machine originally win98, upgraded to XP, but the other
> two are newer, including my wife's Lenovo laptop running Vista and my work
> machine(s) running XP. Oddly enough there is no real consistency on what
> software will run on what. an amazing array run fine on the old beast
> (although sloowwwlly) and some that ran on that machine won't run properly on
> one of the newer machines. It is really amazing how much is out there! Of the
> stuff I tried here are a few observations.

Ah, you looked at several I would not try, for expense, reputation
and/or interface design reasons. I already have one expensive one,
ACR/PS, that meets most of all my needs. The only reason I've looked at
others recently is that the RAW files from my A650 IS are not and never
will be recognized by ACR.

You've missed a couple of free ones that may be worth a look. IrfanView
and FastStone both do RAW conversion. Both convert RAW as batches only,
I assume using dcraw underneath. Both have what I consider primitive
editing features as well.

FastStone has a fair amount of control over the conversion parameters
and a preview feature where individual parameters can be adjusted with
sliders and previewed before actual conversion. The main thing missing
is highlight recovery.

I know much less about IrfanView as a RAW converter simply because it
doesn't work on the A650 files.

However, for someone who views conversion and editing as separate
functions, they should be fine. Neither is a $ or resource hog.

Moose