Re: [OM] Who in the world writes this junk? - Raw software rant.

Subject: Re: [OM] Who in the world writes this junk? - Raw software rant.
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2009 22:17:02 -0800
Scott Gomez wrote:
> .... Two (dngconverter and ufraw seem to interpret the files with the
> histogram radically compressed to the left

That's a "feature" of the underlying dcraw. More properly, it hasn't yet
been expanded. RAW output froma sensor is linear. What you are used to
seeing is after gamma has been applied. To quote Dave Coffin, the developer:

*"Why is 16-bit output dark / unreadable?*
    If you want pretty pictures straight out of dcraw, stay with 8-bit
    output. 16-bit linear output is the best raw material for
    professional image editors such as Photoshop and CinePaint, but it's
    no good for most image viewers."

It's explained in more detail, with illustrations, about 20% down this
page. <http://www.guillermoluijk.com/tutorial/dcraw/index_en.htm>

The dcraw output of A650 files has no profile embedded, as there was
none in the RAW file. In PS, I have created a color profile with aRGB
and gamma of 1.0. I load converted files into PS with this profile
active, then have an Action (macro) that assigns that profile to the
image, then converts profile to normal aRGB. That is, I believe, the
technically proper way to do it. Certainly it works well.

Moose