Re: [OM] IMG: Nathan's PAW 42: water and wine

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Nathan's PAW 42: water and wine
From: Marc Lawrence <montsnmags@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 15:33:56 +1000
2009/10/28 Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> We're talking a 'spectrum disorder' here because every grape has a
> community of yeasts and moulds on its skin (that's the powdery,
> blueish coating).

I did not know that. Thank-you.

> ... Areas
> with even earlier and severe frosts managed a wine with no 'rot'
> effect at all and some prefer it if they don't like the flavour
> produced by the mould (poor fools).

I wouldn't say I "prefer" one over the other. I think I'd enjoy both
(assuming that the Inniskillin Vidal is of the above type, as that's
my only experience with icewine), though I concede my small wine
fridge is mostly rotten with nobility. :) It's predominantly the only
wine I drink (dessert wines). Mine're very sweet teeth and so I'm
frequently using the phrase "Sorry, I don't like wine" when offered
the usual reds or whites with meals that aren't dessert (it's usually
easier that way). I'm always up for a sweet, Rutherglen fortified too
though. Moscato as well.

> Then there's the fakes where they
> just chuck it in a freezer to get a reliable and uniform production
> output - disgraceful.

I'm pretty sure that's the Tassie Wellington. Though, as mentioned,
it's not a bad drop, especially when you're looking at the prices of,
for instance, Inniskillin. Well, it wasn't a bad drop last time I had
it a few years ago...but it seems to be everywhere now, so I'm not
sure if they've refined their production into mass uniformity and
output. I'll buy one again...find out.

Do you have anything to say about Monbazillac? My brother-out-law gave
me a bottle for my birthday, but I'm yet to try it (his brother gave
me a Château Guiraud Sauterne last Christmas - a wine I've had before,
and like a fair bit).

Cheers,
Marc