Re: [OM] Printer Update

Subject: Re: [OM] Printer Update
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 09:01:13 -0500
Canon does have pigment ink printers now.  Best of both worlds.  But for
mass production of standard color printing of text and charts on bond paper,
the dye printers with ink refills are the way to go.  Per-page costs are
nearly non-existent.  It's funny, because I can go a long time before buying
ink.  Bulk is such a great way to go.

I had a reminder this weekend as to why I don't like "rolling my own" when
it comes to printing...

It isn't often that a great photographer is also a great printer and even
less often that an average photographer is better than a barely acceptable
printer. I'm not talking about landscape stuff where nothing is accurate
anyway, but for pictures of people.  I saw an entire display of pictures
which were printed on some Epson pigment printer.  Fine and dandy, but the
photographer really needed to have another set of eyes examine the pictures
and make tonal adjustments.  The colors all looked great, except...  Except
all the skin tones had an olive-drab color-cast to them.

I'll refrain from the obvious critical comment I can make about the brand of
camera used to make the pictures, but it is a case of pilot error more than
the brand as I've seen two or three acceptable shots from that particular
brand.  ;)

Meanwhile, today, I'm delivering a wedding reprint order (72 prints--yee
haa) which I gladly outsourced the printing on.  Not a single print had
anything less than a healthy pink/peaches-and-cream skintone in it.  Oh, and
the colors were vivid and wonderful.  When I look at prints like this and
then the source files on my computer I know that paying that little extra to
have somebody else alter the color and density at the last moment before
printing is a good thing.

AG