Re: [OM] Printer Update

Subject: Re: [OM] Printer Update
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 10:21:41 -0500

> Canon has a list of how long their dye prints should last, and those
> numbers improved significantly a few years ago with a their new ink
> formulation.  Prints not in direct or reflected sunlight, behind glass,
> etc., have very good longevity.

As a point of comparison, several years ago I performed extensive testing
with the Canon dyes in Ilford Gallerie Classic.  I took prints with the IT8
target printed on them and literally taped them to the outside wall facing
south. They were just under the eave enough that they stayed mostly dry, but
they still got no less than 2-3 hours of DIRECT sunlight per day. As this
house was next to I-80, there were plenty of exhaust fumes eating away at it
too. I made sure, when taping, that I had an airgap behind them for full air
circulation front and rear.

Inotherwords, pretty much a worse-case environment.

After two years, when I finally pulled them off the wall, there was more
damage from water and bird-droppings than fade. Essentially, about the worse
thing that happened is the lightest yellow faded away.

AG