Re: [OM] No E-System pro camera until 2010 ;(

Subject: Re: [OM] No E-System pro camera until 2010 ;(
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 09:26:34 -0500
Raw Wilcox wrote:

> Seriously, I think it didn't seem like a serious term in the first
> phases.  All caps made it seem technical rather than slang.  Just a
> guess.

A quick look over the Internet revealed an almost equal reference to RAW,
Raw and raw. It seems to make a difference whether or not it is used as an
adjective or as an object within the sentence.

For example:  "The camera was set to save in a raw file format."  The word
"raw" is an adjective.

But sometimes it can be used as a technical setting:  "The camera's quality
setting was set to RAW".

A hybrid version of this is: "The camera was set to save Raw Files".  "Raw
Files" denotes a specific type of file you are looking for when you are
downloading them from the camera into your computer.

Personally, I prefer RAW, because it is an unsourced acronym that places it
on equal footing within the written sentence as JPEG and TIFF which reduces
confusion. When writing about raw files in the generic sense, I may use
"raw", but when I write about specific raw files I'll use "RAW".  Example:
"I have my E-1 set to save both RAW and JPEG."

I have no problem with unsourced acronyms. They happen, just as recursive
acronyms happen.

AG (or is it ag?) Schnozz