Re: [OM] No E-System pro camera until 2010 ;( - Now Raw & Jpeg

Subject: Re: [OM] No E-System pro camera until 2010 ;( - Now Raw & Jpeg
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 09:47:41 -0500

> In short  :
> Shooting RAW is more or less like developing the film the way you want
> it to be.
> Shooting JPEG is asking the first lab or shop round the  corner to
> process it for you.

I think this is too simplistic of an answer. I use JPEG quite frequently
because I've spent substantial time fine-tuning the settings to give me the
final results the way I want them without post-processing. Is this the same
as asking the Photomat in the KMart parking lot to process your film and
make machine prints?

Hardly!

There is an unfair criticism of in-camera JPEGs (or is it jpegs or Jpegs? or
in-camera RAW/Raw/raw converted files?) based on the perception that the
photographer is smarter than all those engineers and processing analysists
that the camera manufacturers have hired.  Frankly, this is cr*p. MOST
photographers I know are pretty clue-impaired when it comes to figuring out
color profiling and it shows.

However, in fairness, not all cameras produce acceptable in-camera JPEGs for
various reasons. This is one area where Nikon and Olympus are extremely
strong in, though.  Sony ain't half bad either.  I'll let you figure out,
through ommission, which one essentially stinks.  If you MUST shoot RAW
because in-camera JPEG stinks, then maybe you should consider switching to a
camera system that does it right.

My own personal opinion here:

If I have to shoot RAW because I can't get the WB and exposure correct
on-site, I better hang it up as a professional photographer. I take great
care in making sure that I truly understand what is going on exposure-wise
and practice, study and learn the ins and outs of my cameras so I know what
to expect every time I press the shutter release.

Maybe this confidence comes with time.  It took me no less than 1200
experimental pictures before I could comfortably shoot either of my digital
cameras without getting surprised or disappointed by the results.  People
who change cameras like they change socks NEVER develop the freedom and
confidence in knowing how to set things in-camera and not having to fix
everything in post.

I usually use RAW, but in most cases have no issue with setting the camera
on JPEG.  Even when I shoot RAW, I rarely have to tweak the photographs but
just let the converter process them with in-camera settings.  (Obviously
art-photography is in its own category, but that's not what pays my bills).

AG