Re: [OM] Velvia Mood

Subject: Re: [OM] Velvia Mood
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 10:02:36 -0500

> Yes, but 5D II also has smooth shutter release (the 40D not), it is even
> softer than the one in E-1. The spring in E-1 is a little strong to me, I
> like the one in E-300 and E-3 more.

One thing very specific about the shape of the E-1 is that I can squeeze the
camera with an intense grip which transfers the mechanical shock into the
human body.  A light grip means that only the camera/lens mass itself has to
absorb the shock of the shutter firing and mirror bouncing. Obviously, a
firm grip doesn't help with long exposures, but it does do a very good job
with the E-1 in the 1/15 to 1/60 area.  As a result, I've changed how I hold
the OM system a little and the results show that I'm gaining an entire stop
of vibration control.  Attempts to shoot the E-3 the same are met with mixed
results because the shutter-release was moved and I can't squeeze the grip
and have the trigger finger fall naturally on the button at the same time.
I can't squeeze canon bodies because the grip shape is too spread out and my
finger tips are knocking against the front of the body so I have to squeeze
the back with the lower part of my thumb versus the end of the thumb like I
do with the E-1 in the deep scallop shape in the camera back.

Obviously, I don't do the intense grip too much as my hands go numb pretty
quickly.

Anything slower than 1/15 and I'm usually getting heart-beat and
caffeine-induced camera movement.

But with the E-1, it is not unusual for me to be shooting the 200/4 handheld
at 1/30 of a second and getting pixel-sharp images.  Gotta love those
too-few pixels as they mask a lot of evils.

AG