[OM] Velvia Mood

Subject: [OM] Velvia Mood
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 20:11:54 -0400
Ängel,
The Live view on 5DII is very very nice to use to focus the OM lenses.
   Use magnified view to fine focus, can put the LCD on optimize
brightness (NOT exposure simulation) and focus at working aperture if
you want.  Focus can be easily nailed, as long as  time permits.  VF
dof  (stock screen) is about F4 unless you put another screen in--say
EE-s.  VF is then darker and harder to use with slower lenses.  Can try
a Brightscreen or Maxwell treatment of the Ee-s, though due to the no
free lunch principle of optics, critical focus at very wide aperture
will suffer some.  Rachel at Katzeye confirmed this.  They tried their
special treatment on Ee-S screens and would have to burn 2 or 3 to get
one correct--sort of a hybrid of standard screen and Ee-S.
They deemed it not worth doing.

see below for Maxwell data:

http://photo.net/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00GrRY

Live view with histogram exposure is waaaaaay off, though standard
exposure method seems spot on with the usual -1/3 to -2/3
for what looks right to me.  Not all users have confirmed this, but
Jeff experienced same issue. I have no clue why it doesn't require a
non-linear correction as the lens is stopped down like a 5D, but it
seems to work.
No  exp correction  except for tonality on the 4T, OM-2 or 2N and they
get plenty of excercise.

Don't know if you saw the thread on use of the Sony alpha.  In camera
IS for Zuikos and FF would be very  very cool, but it appears next to
impossible w/o mount surgery.  Too bad as the registration distances
make it theoretically possible. Perhaps an external fixation device
coupled to spacer with stop down pin?  Just daydreaming.  After 8P,
time to finish up and try to get home..

Mike

Hello,

I'm using a second hand 5D. I'm still getting used to it, but now
have the colours better under control and to my satisfaction.

I use it in combination with the 40/2 (mostly, a rather "light combo")
For wide angle lenses a well made adapter with correct distance is
needed.
Otherwise the images can become a little bit soft all over...
The only thing I really miss with the 5D is liveview. I think with
12 MP I can still get away with 1/30 @ 50mm...

I've just done an extensive project documentation with 5D and 24 shift
and 50mm f2,
and came to the conclusion I don't need the 18mm:) Quality is higher
with two stitched 24mm
frames. I used the camera 75% in M mode, and 25% in AV mode (50/2).
There I mostly dial in
+2/3 to 1 compensation.

Iwert