Re: [OM] 20mm f/3.5 Macro (non-MC)

Subject: Re: [OM] 20mm f/3.5 Macro (non-MC)
From: "Clay Nichols" <Clay.Nichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 08:11:27 -0400
Dawid

Working at high magnifications is work. A good macro stand is a good start.
But as you stretch out the bellows to magnify the subject, you will also
magnify vibrations and the bellows will act as a pendulum. The post for the
stand may act as a pendulum. Try two or more point attachment. Try adding mass.
Add a bag of rice or lentils or a bean bag to the top of the camera to dampen
vibrations. Add mass to the stand. Vibrations may also be coming from the room
or from the street traffic. The stand may have to be isolated from the
environment. Tighten all of the screws. Tighten down the locks on the bellows.
Keep the shutter speeds short. Use flash as often as practical. Use mirror lock
up. Use a film that is as fast as you can stand it. Don't breathe. And, above
all, have fun.
Clay

>>> "David D Miller" <olympus-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 9/24/2009 5:46 AM >>>
> It is amazing how well a human being damps vibrations, no? The OM-1 is
> the only camera
> I've used with which I can get tack sharp 1/15s exposures hand-held
> (say, with a 24mm lens)
> but which absolutely sucks on a tripod for similar exposure durations.

Do the manuals not suggest holding the camera steady, even when it's on a
tripod?